Friday, February 18, 2011

Neighborhood Websites

You can tell a lot about a neighborhood from its website.  It shouldn't come as a surprise that many of the most blighted neighborhoods have awful websites worse than stuff I could've made on geocities in 1995.

Here's a great example of what I mean, Kingshighway West's website

I recently noticed that my neighborhood, Tilles Park, recently gave its website a nice makeover and added some updated information.  Here are some of my faves from other neighborhoods in the city:

Cherokee Street News.  Updated often, sleek looking, and fits the neighborhood like a glove.  The best in the city if you ask me.

Southampton.  It has the same dull format as TPNA's (aren't there some graphic designers in these hoods?) but has a TON of information about the neighborhood.  Plus I love that header pic - where is that, by the way?  I would guess the Christy Greenway, although I'm pretty sure that isn't in Southampton.

Benton Park.  This one looks amazing.  It could have some more information but it's the nicest looking site I've seen.

St. Louis Hills.  Of course the Hills gets a very nice website.

Downtown St. Louis.  I am waffling over whether this is the same as a neighborhood website but I'm including it here anyway.  It's remarkable and makes downtown look amazing.

Central West End.  It's good, but come on it's the CWE.  I guess I just would expect...more.

The Grove's CID and Promotional site.  The Grove is the king (queen?) of marketing itself as far as burgeoning neighborhoods go.  So of course the site looks great.

Lindenwood Park.  All around good site.

An informed and active neighborhood can improve the quality of life in a neighborhood as well as keep it stable.  It's no coincidence that the above neighborhoods are vastly improving or have been stable for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment