Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Best things to happen to St. Louis in 2010

2010 is winding down so it's time for some obligatory end of year review lists.  I think 2010 was an average to good year for St. Louis.  Aside from regaining our most dangerous title, I can't think of any reason why things in St. Louis aren't any better in 2010 then they were in 2009.

Here's why:

1) Passage of Prop A.  Metro took a huge step forward in gaining passage of Prop A this past April.  I will be the first to admit I was extremely pessimistic that this would pass.  And not only did it pass, but it had a huge margin of victory.  St. Louis obviously has a very strong and vocal mass transit and progressive community to pull off this victory.  The future for Metro has never been brighter.

2) St. Louis named a top 100 place to live  This includes cities of all sizes and even has one St. Louis suburb (O'Fallon).  But the fact that Relocate America recognizes St. Louis CITY as a livable and desirable place to relocate to just reinforces what a lot of us already know.  If only this list got as much coverage as CQ press!

3) St. Louis city growing, Census says.  This actually just came out today, but I had to include it.  The 2005-2009 survey estimates are in, and the city is growing while the county is shrinking.  While 2.8% doesn't quite make us a boom town, it is a hugely positive trend.  I can't wait to see the 2010 numbers.

4) St. Louis bidding for 2012 Democratic Convention.  Yes it may turn out that another city gets picked.  But I love our chances and I like that the city and CVC are ambitious enough to fight for this.  I was at the Chuck Berry/Nelly concert at Keiner plaza this summer and I loved the enthusiasm and energy the crowd had to bring this here.

5) The Roberts Tower get finished.  It's been forever and a day since downtown had new residential construction.  Now we have a beautiful, sleek new residential tower that shows just how far downtown has come.  I wish I could afford to live there!

I want to add more but I only wanted to mention real significant stuff.  As far as bad stuff that happened, there is that nasty list I mentioned earlier and quite a few nice restaurants closed this year.  Other than that, I think 2010 was a solid year for St. Louis where we held our own despite the recession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment